We want your Hertz Fellowship application to be a positive and motivating experience. We hope these answers help.
If you need further assistance with your application, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're happy to make sure you understand the process and are able to submit your best application.
- When does the application become available, and what is the deadline?
- What is the fellowship selection timeline?
- I’m having problems with the online application. How can I get help?
- When will I hear back about the status of my application?
- Does the application require a research project proposal?
- Who is eligible to apply for a Hertz Fellowship?
- Do you offer fellowships to non-United States citizens?
- Can I apply after my first year of graduate school?
- I'm an MD/PhD student. When should I apply?
- Are part-time students eligible?
- I am currently a master's student. Does my time in the master’s program count as graduate years in my application?
- I have a master's degree. Do the years enrolled in this master's program count as graduate years in my application?
- Can I reapply if I’m not offered a fellowship?
If the master's degree you are pursuing is in a different field than the PhD field of study you propose in your application or is part of a different program, then this time does not count as graduate years in your application.
If you completed a one- or two-year master's program and plan to enroll in fall 2023 at a program that does not count the master's towards the PhD requirement, you are eligible to apply. However, if the school does apply the master's degree towards the PhD, the prior graduate (master's) years will count.
- How can I add my school to the list of participating schools?
- If I receive a fellowship, can I use it at any participating school, even if it was not listed as the first choice on my application?
- Can I upload multiple documents to my application?
- Is there a word limit for my essay?
- What is the foundation looking for in my personal essay?
References (aka Recommenders)
- Can I submit supplemental letters of recommendation that do not use the Hertz Foundation format?
- Can I submit more than four references (recommenders)?
- Will you accept letters of recommendation after the deadline?
- Why does the application require reference forms versus letters of recommendation?
- How do I submit information for my references (recommenders)?
- When will my references (recommenders) be notified?
- What tips do you have for choosing references (recommenders)?
- At what point during the application should I notify my four references (recommenders)?
- What is the deadline for submitting the four recommender evaluations?
- Will you accept recommender’s completed evaluations after the deadline?
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Are GRE scores required to apply for a fellowship?
- May I submit GRE scores for a test that I plan to take after the application deadline?
- I received a score range rather than a score at the GRE test. Should I enter that range in my application?
- I'm currently an MD/PhD student beginning my PhD. As a joint student, my MCAT scores were used for both my MD and PhD admissions, and I never took the GRE. Can I use my MCAT scores instead?
- I applied for the fellowship last year and had the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send my scores to the foundation. Can I reuse those scores, or do I need to have ETS send them again?
- If I am awarded both a Hertz fellowship and a fellowship, scholarship or grant from another institution, do I need to turn down the other offer in order to accept the Hertz fellowship?
Transcripts and Course Verification
- How do I submit my transcripts?
- I’m a first-year graduate student, and my school does not provide transcripts until after the first semester is completed. What should I submit?
- What qualifies as an upper division course?