We want your Hertz Fellowship application to be a positive and motivating experience. We hope these answers help.
If you need further assistance with your application or have addition questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We're happy to make sure you understand the process and are able to submit your application in best form.
- Who is eligible to apply for a Hertz Fellowship?
- Do you offer fellowships to non-United States citizens?
- Can I apply after my first year of graduate school?
- I have a master's degree. Do I apply as a first-year graduate student, or does my time in a master’s program count as graduate work in my application?
- Can I reapply if I’m not offered a fellowship?
- How can I add my school to the list of participating schools?
- If I receive a fellowship, can I use it at any participating school, even if it was not listed as the first choice on my application?
- Can I upload multiple documents to my application?
- Is there a word limit for my essay?
- What is the foundation looking for in my personal essay?
Letters of Recommendation
- Can I submit letters of recommendation that do not use the Hertz Foundation format?
- Can I submit more than four letters of recommendation?
- Will you accept letters of recommendation after the deadline?
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Are GRE scores required to apply for a fellowship?
- May I submit GRE scores for a test that I plan to take after the application deadline?
- I received a score range rather than a score at the GRE test. Should I enter that range in my application?
- I am currently an MD/PhD student beginning my PhD. As a joint student, my MCAT scores were used for both my MD and PhD admissions, and I never took the GRE. Can I use my MCAT scores instead?
- I applied for the fellowship last year and had the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send my scores to the foundation. Can I reuse those scores, or do I need to have ETS send them again?
- When will the new application be available?
- I’m having problems with the online application. How can I get help?
- What qualifies as an upper division course?
- I’m a first-year graduate student, and my school does not provide transcripts until after the first semester is completed. What should I submit?
- How do I submit my transcripts?
- When will I hear back about my application?
- If I am awarded both a Hertz fellowship and a fellowship, scholarship or grant from another institution, do I need to turn down the other offer in order to accept the Hertz fellowship?