We want your Hertz Fellowship application to be a positive and motivating experience. We hope these answers help.
If you need further assistance with your application, please email us at email@example.com. We're happy to make sure you understand the process and are able to submit your best application.
- When does the application become available, and what is the deadline?
- What is the fellowship selection timeline?
- I’m having problems with the online application. How can I get help?
- When will I hear back about the status of my application?
- Does the application require a research project proposal?
- Who is eligible to apply for a Hertz Fellowship?
- Do you offer fellowships to non-United States citizens?
- Can I apply after my first year of graduate school?
- I'm an MD/PhD student. When should I apply?
- Are part-time students eligible?
- I have a master's degree. Do I apply as a first-year graduate student, or does my time in a master’s program count as graduate work in my application?
- Can I reapply if I’m not offered a fellowship?
- How can I add my school to the list of participating schools?
- If I receive a fellowship, can I use it at any participating school, even if it was not listed as the first choice on my application?
- Can I upload multiple documents to my application?
- Is there a word limit for my essay?
- What is the foundation looking for in my personal essay?
References (aka Recommenders)
- Can I submit supplemental letters of recommendation that do not use the Hertz Foundation format?
- Can I submit more than four references (recommenders)?
- Will you accept letters of recommendation after the deadline?
- Why does the application require reference forms versus letters of recommendation?
- How do I submit information for my references (recommenders)?
- When will my references (recommenders) be notified?
- What tips do you have for choosing references (recommenders)?
- At what point during the application should I notify my four references (recommenders)?
- What is the deadline for submitting the four recommender evaluations?
- Will you accept recommender’s completed evaluations after the deadline?
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Are GRE scores required to apply for a fellowship?
- May I submit GRE scores for a test that I plan to take after the application deadline?
- I received a score range rather than a score at the GRE test. Should I enter that range in my application?
- I'm currently an MD/PhD student beginning my PhD. As a joint student, my MCAT scores were used for both my MD and PhD admissions, and I never took the GRE. Can I use my MCAT scores instead?
- I applied for the fellowship last year and had the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send my scores to the foundation. Can I reuse those scores, or do I need to have ETS send them again?
- If I am awarded both a Hertz fellowship and a fellowship, scholarship or grant from another institution, do I need to turn down the other offer in order to accept the Hertz fellowship?
Transcripts and Course Verification
- How do I submit my transcripts?
- I’m a first-year graduate student, and my school does not provide transcripts until after the first semester is completed. What should I submit?
- What qualifies as an upper division course?