The Fannie and John Hertz Foundation seeks a detail-oriented and strategic Development Assistant to process gifts and play an integral role in critical business functions of the organization, including reconciliation and database hygiene. This position will work remotely with a flexible part-time schedule.
Reporting to the Director of Donor Analytics and Annual Giving, the Development Assistant will play a key role on the foundation’s development team. Working closely with all foundation staff, the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring all alumni, student and donor data is entered accurately and consistently into the foundation’s donor database. In addition to data entry, the incumbent will be responsible for gift processing and acknowledgement, gift reconciliation with the finance team, managing the regular flow of data between the development database (Raiser’s Edge and RENXT) and other platforms, preparing ad hoc data reports, and assisting with other development activities.
The Development Assistant must be both customer-service and detail-oriented, while demonstrating consistency and exceptional quality in their work. An advanced working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Excel is required, as is prior experience working as a gift processor. Prior experience working at a nonprofit organization is an advantage, as is experience working with the import and export functions in the Blackbaud suite of products.
Schedule: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Benefits: Benefits include vacation accrual and contribution to a SEP-IRA established for the employee
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a CV/resumé of no more than 2 pages and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com. We hope to have our new Development Assistant in place by November 2021, and we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
Data Management (40%)
- Manage regular integration of select shared data between Raiser’s Edge and additional platforms including Slate (student data), MailChimp (email marketing) and DonorScape (wealth screening).
- Create records for new constituents, to include records for new Hertz Fellows and parents each spring (approximately 30 records). Additional records may be created from time to time. Manage a separate email inbox to which members of the Hertz Foundation team submit requests for RENXT records updates and reports, including updated biographical and contact information; assist the President with logging actions and correspondence in RENXT records.
- Assist with returned mail address corrections; search for updated addresses in White Pages online subscription, as needed.
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer and Director of Community to maintain data integrity of volunteer module. This includes importing data from surveys and updating job assignments on an annual and term basis.
- Maintain updated and accurate constituent codes and hierarchy for all constituent records.
- Extract information and export data to other software applications.
- Follow database operating procedures and assist in ongoing review and improvement.
Gift Processing, Acknowledgements and Reconciliation (35%)
- Serve as the primary point of contact for processing gifts from donors to the Hertz Foundation. This includes monthly recurring gifts by credit card. Work closely with the Administrative Assistant in gift entry for gifts made by check.
- Prepare all gift receipts and acknowledgements according to internal business processes and IRS standards, to include working with fundraisers for timely letter personalization, where appropriate.
- Send acknowledgements to donors by email in a timely fashion and prepare calendar-year annual summaries for monthly donors. Ensure all booked gifts and pledges have the required documentation and maintain organized and transparent electronic files in organizational Dropbox related to transactions and pledges in preparation for annual audit.
- Generate and share daily gift reports with fundraising and finance teams.
- Serve as primary point of contact with accounting team for all gift reconciliation; prepare data and reports for accounting and reconciliation purposes.
- Perform special gift entry projects as assigned by Director of Donor Analytics and Annual Giving, Chief Development Officer, or the President.
Annual Giving Support (20%)
- Ensure that all donor acknowledgement templates remain up to date in the database.
- Provide support to the Director of Annual Giving in for fall and spring direct mail appeals, including creating segmented recipient queries and address exports for the mail house.
- As part of gift processing procedures, ensure proper appeals data entry for all gifts and pledges to support analytics efforts.
- Assist with pulling donor data for the annual philanthropy report and mailing lists for other regular annual communications including the fellows yearbook.
- Produce ad hoc data lists and reports, as requested.
Other Support (5%)
- Work closely with the Director of Community to create event records and track event attendance in Raiser’s Edge.
- Support additional special projects from time to time.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a gift processor. Experience performing some database administrative functions (e.g., import, export, records creation) preferred.
- Experience working with Raiser’s Edge and RENXT.
- Experience working with third-party import vendors such as Omatic or Chimpegration or extensive use of the import and export functions in Raiser’s Edge is an advantage.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, advanced skills in Excel.
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to build rapport with others to achieve shared goals.
- Ability to effectively manage time and prioritize responsibilities to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and take initiative; ability to effectively seek out and research information needed to complete work.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
2–4 years of related work experience required; college degree preferred.
This is an ideal situation for a qualified candidate who desires a flexible work schedule or enhanced work-life balance. Though the Hertz Foundation is headquartered in Livermore, CA, this role can be performed remotely from anywhere in the U.S. Occasional travel will be required for all team staff meetings and the annual summer workshop for all Hertz Fellows, generally held the third week of July.
Because a main responsibility of the incumbent is to process gifts in a timely fashion and support reconciliation in partnership with the finance team, the Development Assistant should be generally available during the two most critical times of the year for donor giving: the end of the calendar year (~December 20–January 10) and the end of the fiscal year (~June 15–July 10). This incumbent is not expected to work on recognized holidays or other reasonable requests, as approved by their supervisor.
The Hertz Foundation requires all staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and will require proof of vaccination status as a condition of employment for this position. We will consider requests for accommodation for documented medical reasons and for sincerely held religious beliefs.
About the Hertz Foundation
The Hertz Foundation is a nonprofit organization that identifies the nation’s most promising innovators in science and technology and empowers them to pursue solutions to the nation’s toughest challenges. Launched in 1963, the Hertz Fellowship is the most exclusive fellowship program in the United States, fueling more than 1,200 leaders, disruptors, and creators who apply their remarkable talent where it’s needed most—from improving human health to protecting the health of the planet. Hertz Fellows hold 3,000+ patents, have founded 200+ companies, and have received 200+ major national and international awards, including two Nobel Prizes, eight Breakthrough Prizes, the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the Fields Medal, and the Turing Award. Learn more at HertzFoundation.org.
Our staff and advisors are working to create a better future every day. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Whether in-person or remote, we are a team of active optimists who strive to create an inclusive, pleasant, and supportive work environment where everyone can achieve their best.
We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.